Whitening Your UPVC Tips
How to whiten uPVC window frames
We all love those bright white UPVC frames and how brilliant white they look when they are brand new. But like everything else time takes its toll and they become very dirty and in some cases yellow. They can lose their luster and shine, look dull and if not kept in good condition start to crack.
If this scenario sounds familiar, you may want to try a bit of DIY to do the UPVC cleaning yourself.
A few TIPS if you want to clean upvc window frames yourself:
- Mix one cup of vinegar with four cups of hot water, then pour the mixture into a sprayer bottle.
- Use the Spray and spray it on your UPVC frames leaving it to stand for about 10 minutes.
- Then use a clean, dry and soft cloth to wipe down and remove any excess liquid and you should see a big difference.
- If this doesn’t work, baby wipes are great for delicate cleaning jobs and will clean most things.
If its is proving tough to clean your UPVC – Don’t RUSH TO USE use cream-cleaners or abrasive cleaning solutions because they will scratch the top layer of the UPVC and permanently remove the shine and luster and damage your UPVC.
If you are having problems and find the cleaning solution is not strong enough to remove a build-up of dirt, dead insects, cobwebs and grime. It maybe a good idea to use a specialist UPVC cleaning product.
The following products are all suitable for the task:
- De-Solv-It UPVC cleaner
- EverBuild PVCu solvent cleaner
- No-Nonsense uPVC cleaner
- Thompson’s UPVC Restorer
- Vistal Hard Surface Cleaner
Maintaining your UPVC to Avoid Damage & Yellow Frames
To ensure your white UPVC frames maintain a clean and fresh look, all that’s required is an occasional wipe down with warm soapy water.
To keep your UPVC windows frames looking their best:
- Dip a soft cloth or sponge in a bucket of warm soapy water and wipe down the dirty frame.
- Use a clean, dry and non-abrasive cloth to dry the frame and remove any excess water.
- REMEMBER – Never use scouring pads or cream cleaners as they are abrasive and can remove the UPVC’s shiny finish.
Products to avoid when cleaning UPVC windows
To prevent causing damage to your UPVC FRAMES – it’s important to only use items that are suitable for the task.
- White spirits
- Wire wool or iron wool
- Scouring pads
- Cif and Jif-type cream cleaners
- Methylated spirits
- Nail varnish remover
By Bernadette Kyriacou
Tags: upvc cleaning